9 Steps for Defining Your Dream Life
So in my very first post I said that the point of this blog is to not only record what I do while trying to live my dream life but to hopefully help some of you figure out what you can do to do the same. What I find to be important to me might not even be a blip on your radar of something you want to spend time on and that’s ok! In order to actually live your dream life, you need to have a clear vision of what it would look like.
Let’s Get Started!
- Grab your cell phone, a few sheets of paper or word document and a way to write.
- Set a timer on your cell phone and set it for between 5 and 10 mins.
- Start the timer, write down everything that you feel is super important to you and your life. Include things you already make time for and things you don’t make time for but wish you could.
- When the timer stops, take a look at your list and separate the list into 2 categories. These categories are: Things you make time for now and things you wish you could make time for.
- Now take the list of things that you already make time for and figure out ways to become more efficient.
- Next take the list of things you want to make time for. Pick between one- four things that matter to you more than the others. (This part will be hard since usually this list is longer than the other list).
- Now for the items you haven’t been able to make a go of in the past, create some action steps! If you get even 10 mins of focused time on these new priorities it will help you build a habit. Aim small. The goal is to make these things a part of your life, not burn out with a week.
- Create a new list of your priorities and make copies of this list so that you can constantly remind yourself of what you have decided is important. It is helpful to start with just one and then build as you increase consistency.
- Be open to edits. These lists are not set in stone. They will grow and change with time as you find out which of your new priorities really matter to you. At the end of the day, the life of your dreams is made up of the things that matter the most to you. Once you know what your priorities are, your dream life will be your real life!
“The biggest adventure you can ever take is to live the life of your dreams.” – Oprah Winfrey